Walk Along the Guild Park Shoreline - Sunday May 7 at 2pm
Presented by Steve Smith and Jen Falvy, Friends of the Bluffs. We will meet at the entrance off Guildwood Parkway at Galloway Road and walk down the service road to the shoreline. There is parking at 309 Guildwood Parkway.
Join us for an afternoon walk along the Eastern shore of the Guild Park and Gardens. Learn about the interesting history of this section of the Scarborough Bluffs and how things have changed over the years. This section of shoreline is a wonderful place for walking and cycling, though it is also recognized as an area for wildlife with rabbits, deer, mink, amphibians, reptiles, shorebirds, and more. This walk will be a relaxing tour highlighting the main features of the area with some conservation discussing the hidden potential of how the area can be even more sustainable as a natural area and more successful as a public place.
Points of Interest and conversation:
• The original shoreline of the Scarborough Bluffs
• Looking back; reflecting on the waterfront plans of 1967
• Remnants on top; traces of the mysterious Amphitheatre
• How and why the Guild beach and frog pond came to be
• Armour rocks and areas of concern
• Recent history of shoreline hardening along the edge
• What are the lost opportunities for recreation?
• End of the path; a potential place for quiet reflection
• Sand beaches in the east are attracting shoreline birds
• Sharing the shoreline; residences with riparian rights
• How can the shoreline be a better place for people and nature?
• Tour will wrap up with a visit to Guild Park and Gardens
We will meet at the entrance off Guildwood Parkway at Galloway Road and walk down the service road to the shoreline. There is a parking lot at 309 Guildwood Parkway. For public transit, take the 116C bus from Kennedy station. Please note that the walk is down and back up a very steep grade hill but the surface is smooth. Once we get to the bottom, the road is level of crushed gravel. The walk will be 2 hrs and is suitable for all ages. There are no washroom facilities.
Thank you, we hope you can join us